well...

Saturday, December 22, 2007

i didn't decorate the kitchen

so, i'm at my parents' house. it's the wonderful land of soft. soft tissues, soft blankets, soft carpeting, soft voices . . . it's wonderfully soft. it's also Christ-mas. i just left the jostling world of petion-ville, haiti where not very much is soft and it's hard to believe that it's Christ-mastime and i was plunked down right in the middle of this:

so as we're making our delicious Christ-mas cookies (good for the baby), my mother laments, "i didn't decorate the kitchen." i look around. Christ-mas dishes? check. Christ-mas dish towels? check. Christ-mas aprons? check. Christ-mas glasses and pitchers? check. but true, no extra Christ-mas nicknacks to be seen! shocking! what if, just think about this, someone were to enter through the living room, pass all the nativity scenes and find themselves in the barren kitchen?! what would happen? would he/she know it's Christ-mas?!!
would the towels and dishes be enough?
i surely hope so. i hope our hearts and our attitudes would be a better reflection of what Christ-mas is than our living rooms.
thankfully, in my parents' home i know that the point of this holiday time is much greater than decorating and making cookies. the Lord, His birth, His sacrafice, those are the focus of our home! i will pray for you this week, that you too can keep that focus.
even if the kitchen isn't decorated.

15 Comments:

Blogger tandtknox said...

Angela, my friend, I've thought about you every day...sounds like you are doing well. Are you getting the rest you craved in the land of soft? Thank you for your post.

As far as sharing with Lizette and praying with her goes, what choice do we have? We are called to be ambassadors. Who are we not to remember what the one who put the idea of Spendy in all of our hearts would have us do? I am gripped by Lizette....wrestling with my need to treat her as I would want to be treated and my desire for Spendy. I have to keep crying out for God's help, his mercy, his wisdom. We are so grateful for your prayers.
-Tina

2:21 PM  
Blogger angela said...

you forgot Christmas candles, manger scene in breakfast nook area, Christmas napkins, Christmas picture/greetings from friends on the refugerator, and smells of baking Chrismas cookies wafting through.

mom's great! so's dad! and i'm glad you're here!! TOOL up!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Elias said...

woops. that last comment was from elias. i was using your computer, sistre, and you were already logged in. :)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Sarah and Tim said...

Merry Christmas!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Kathy Eden said...

Wishing a very blessed & Merry Christmas my friend!

7:29 PM  
Blogger megan haug said...

thanks for clarifying Elias, i was very confused at first!!

i didn't do much Christmas decorating...but i didn't have to. my roommate took care of it all. i mean, it's actually really crazy the amount of decorations she has collected only being 22 yrs old.

i love Christmas!

11:13 PM  
Blogger CG said...

Adored this post and really enjoyed all the lovely photos.

Although I do have some pretty lights and decorations, Christ in my heart is the treasure that outshines them all. I know this is true for you, too. Have a blessed Christmas, sister!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Shannon H. said...

I have nativity envy. That is a really good collection. It doesn't seem right to be jealous of a baby Jesus though...

My kids have decorated my kitchen with miles and miles of paper garland. Miles I tell you. I'm afraid with all the cookie baking it might be a fire hazard.

But at least if someone walked into our kitchen they would know it was Christ-mas. ;)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Hey E - I did that whole "logged In as the wrong user" thing my self this week on your sistre s facebook wall....ha. Great post You-You. Merry Christ-mas to all!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does "good for the baby" mean? Ona seperate note, I thought maybe you had typos everywhere, and then realized what you did. I kind of like that.

8:50 PM  
Blogger angela said...

hilarious. that is laugh-out-loud funny.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Brandy and Troy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Your mom is so cute Angela! So good to hear about you and your family at home. We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! Happy New Year You-You!! Love from the Mulpagano family :-)

4:12 AM  
Blogger Hope and Rob said...

Merry Christ-mas Sister! We love you and are praying for you. Thanks for your prayers for us!!!

6:14 AM  
Blogger Brandy and Troy said...

Hey, you nativity set has a Joseph. The set that I just had to buy in the mountains, that took so long to buy, the one that everyone was waiting on me, so I could buy it, and we could leave, ended up coming with 2 Mary's and no Joseph. I had to laugh when we got back and I found that I had 2 Mary's after all of that trouble. Anyway, I am happy that you have a Joseph!!!
Praying for you my friend!!!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home