well...

Monday, October 01, 2007

humble

just who do i think i am? i get frustrated here often. i can say something so many times and it just doesn't seem to sink in to anyone's head. they say, "okay, you-you." but make no movement toward doing what i've said or asked. ahhhhh! and i get frustrated.
how many times have i said that getting your head wet in the rain doesn't make you sick? but then a "medical professional" comes in and tells them to close the windows so the kids don't get sick. (not because of rain; that had nothing to do with rain.) and i get frustrated.
i know these are not stupid people. i know they are hard workers. i know they have love, and strength and hope in spades. but still . . . i get frustrated.
i think, "why don't they get that?" "why doesn't anyone plan ahead?!" "how many times have i said that?!"

and then i go to church on sunday morning and the man next to me puts in two haitian dollars for his offering. that' about 28 u.s. cents.
and i didn't put in anything.
why? because i don't have a lot of money?! because it's not my regular church?! no excuse.

oh the shame.

but there's more. the man leading communion quoted dietrich bonhoeffer in perfect english from memory.

and i have been so humbled.

who do i think i am?
i'm an american.
i love and love and love my freedom and my country and my rights. i love and love and love that i can travel where i want, when i want, given the funding. i love that i can say JESUS IS LORD and no one will persecute me for it. i love that i had FREE EDUCATION growing up and the opportunity to go to many colleges and universities to study everything i wanted to learn. i love that i can read and understand joseph conrad. i love that i have multiple copies of the bible all to myself.
but sometimes being an american is not something i'm so proud of. why? because of my pride. because of the american mentality that if you just work hard enough, you'll get everything you've worked for. you'll be rich. you'll be healthy, wealthy and wise. but most of this world lives in poverty.
in poverty like this. and forced to work like this:

with this outside their front door:

just who do i think i am? am i any greater than the man next to me in church? oh Heaven, no. just because i have had opportunity and praise God for it, but who am i?! the Word says, " . . . and what do you have that you did not receive?" 1 cor. 4:7
so, praise God for free education which has taught you cause and effect (something you now categorize as "common sense"). and praise God you can read and learn scientific facts about your health, your body, the way the world works. praise God you have a bible of your own to read! praise God you have a job and the opportunity to promote or transfer. praise God you have acquired the skills to discern, to use wisdom, to plan ahead, to deduce. praise God for your HMO as much as you'd like to complain about which doctor it allows you to see. but don't do what i do. don't think it makes you special. don't think you're somehow important because you're smart. don't do that.
because you're wrong.

i'm wrong.

i'm nothing and i have nothing apart from what Christ has given to me.
teach me Your humility, O God!
forgive me all my hideous pride.
and somehow find a way to use even me, chief sinner among sinners, for Your glory.

13 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Amazing post, zanmi'm!!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Angela~ I'm not going to say to you "oh You-you, don't say these things, you are the most humble person I know" etc., etc. What you posted is true...but not just about you!! Really about all of us!! We are ALL sinners! Romans 3:22-24 "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

We all must humble ourselves before the Lord and beg for forgiveness. AND He will grant it to us! It's the best part of being a Christian in my opinion, God allows "do-overs", He allows us the chance to do it better the next time, to be more like Him and less like me!

I struggle so much with the American mentality and it is an area in my life that God is working on and it sounds like He is working on it in you as well. I wil pray for you as you work through this.

Read Mark 12:41-44 in reference to giving, even in our "poverty" we need to give to the Lord, not out of "obligation" but because we feel called to give! Another area God has been working on in my heart and sounds like in yours as well.

Love ya' sister! Thank you for reminding me of the need to get on my knees once again and ask God to hunble my heart!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

So true! Americans (including myself) are terribly prideful. It is amazing that you have written about this subject because God has been giving me glimpses of my pride lately as well. It is pretty scary to know that all that we base our self worth upon could be gone as quickly as God has granted it to us if we do not give Him the credit that is due. Ephesians 2:8-9 says "for by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."
We have been truly blessed by God but we, individually and as a country, have brought much shame upon the Lord by our actions and inaction.

10:54 AM  
Blogger livingpurereligion said...

Thanks for your honesty.We served as missionaries to Japan for 7 years and felt lots of frustration at their apparent lack of "American sense."Oh how prideful we were.America is notorious around the world for it's sense of superiority and arrogance.A sad measure as to just how "Christian" our nation really is.Now I wonder if the things our country is known for... our pride, our sense of individualism, our self-work ethic may be the very things that hinder us from really knowing Christ.After all, it's easier for a camel to squeeze through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven.If that's the case, then I foresee a whole lot of Haitians entering heaven before me!Oh God,make me humble!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Amazing post...very humbling to me as well. I get so frustrated with myself when I get caught up in what our culture says is important. I also get frustrated when I realize how much I take for granted. I need another trip to Haiti for God to reveal all these things to me again. Thanks so much for the reminder You You. I appreciate your honesty!!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kathy Eden said...

Ditto to everyone said above. Adding anything more would be me rambling. Thank you so much for sharing!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Shannon H. said...

word.

thanks you you.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Ashly said...

i've been humbled in a similar way recently. i've been studying God's word and preparing a post about it. thank you for sharing your heart with all of us! it is awesome to see the similar ways that God chooses to humble His children. love ya!

8:35 PM  
Blogger megan haug said...

thank you for this post! this is something i CANNOT hear enough of! pride is my middle name. actually, i think it'd be more like my first name!

i say i desire humility, but the truth of my desires will come out by how i respond to the opportunities God gives me to be humble...

i pray that we all will allow God to humble us ask we have asked to be.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very deep thought on many levels, not just your thought on your pride and your humility, but also the realization of your geopolitical upbringing which has helped form your intial reaction and frustration. But, the true "common sense" you displayed is being able to recognize your shortcommings, and move on from them and being more of what God desires you to be.

I am very proud. You are all growns up.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

One word...AMEN!

Thank you!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i was humbled this trip as well- humbled by the people, by my unwillingness- as a believer, I should be an example of love, and here I am just thinking of myself so much of the time. Rare that I'm not. I love that Haiti forces me to get beyond myself. Those kids bless me so much. I am struck at how much we focus on all the ins and outs of philosophy, theology, etc. and forget about loving people, serving- I am reminded of it every time i come down. And all I want to do today is to be back...but He is GOOD, and I am so thankful He brings me there.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops...the last anonymous is Shanley, the one sent at 12:17. I forgot to write my name, haha.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home